Deuteronomy 29 Deut 29
7. God reaffirms His covenant with Israel—
(This covenant) was substantially the same; but it was renewed now, in different circumstances. They had violated its conditions. Moses rehearses these, that they might have a better knowledge of its conditions and be more disposed to comply with them.
A Commentary: Critical, Experimental, and Practical on the Old and New Testaments.
Renewing the covenant—
- He is their God.
- They are His people.
- The same covenant He swore to their ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
- This covenant including the curses was in addition to the covenant made at Mt. Sinai.
- The covenant applied to those standing there that day and future generations.
8. God strictly warned Israel and future generations—
- Do not abandon the covenant with Yahweh, the God of their fathers who brought them out of Egypt.
- Do not bow down and worship other gods.
9. a. Romans 11:33; Romans 11:29—
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unfathomable (inscrutable, unsearchable) are His judgments (His decisions)! And how untraceable (mysterious, undiscoverable) are His ways (His methods, His paths)! AMP
The apostle Paul knew the mysteries of the kingdom of God as well as ever any man; yet he confesses himself at a loss; and despairing to find the bottom, he humbly sits down at the brink, and adores the depth….
The saints in heaven never dispute, but always praise. Matthew Henry Concise Bible Commentary
I disagree with the notes on this point about secret things. I believe Paul was speaking as one to whom the Spirit of God had given much deep revelation. The more he understood, the more he realized he didn’t know.
Paul also wrote,
Yet to us God has unveiled and revealed them by and through His Spirit, for the [Holy] Spirit searches diligently, exploring and examining everything, even sounding the profound and bottomless things of God [the divine counsels and things hidden and beyond man’s scrutiny]. 1 Corinthians 2:10 AMP
b. Israel was accountable for the law revealed through Moses.
They were not accountable for things God did not show them. The future of Israel depended on obedience to the one true God.
That said, details about coming events were revealed to the prophets. Daniel, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and many other prophetic scriptures contain specific revelations of things to come. Then we also have the New Testament/Covenant. We also have the Holy Spirit to personally counsel and lead us into all truth.
c. What I most admire about Moses—
- Moses’ amazing face-to-face relationship with God.
- Moses’ faithfulness to God and to Israel.
- Moses’ humility.
- Moses’ willingness to stand in the gap for the complaining, disobedient Israelites.
Photo credit Pearl via Lightstock
For more information about Bible Study Fellowship International (BSF) visit their website. You can search for a class near you. A study of the book of Revelation begins soon.
These are MY answers to the study questions, not THE answers.