John Lesson 6 Day 2
Study of John 4:31-34
Numbering coincides with BSF questions. Does not include answers to questions 1 and 2 about the notes and lecture.
3. a. I have a kind of food you know nothing about. John 4:32
In Verse 34, Jesus explained what He meant—”My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work.” AMP
Jesus was being fed from within. The living water He had told this woman about was flowing through Him like a river. The Spirit had so taken control of Him, that He wasn’t hungry for physical food at that time. Andrew Wommack
“To everyone who is victorious I will give some of the manna that has been hidden away in heaven…” Revelation 2:17 NLT
“. . . man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of the Lord.” Deuteronomy 8:3 NLT
“I brought glory to you here on earth by completing [down to the last detail (MSG)] the work you gave me to do.” John 17:4 NLT
“You have loved righteousness [integrity, virtue, uprightness in purpose] and have hated lawlessness [injustice, sin]. Therefore, God, Your God, Has anointed You With the oil of gladness above Your companions [forever].” Hebrews 1:9 AMP
b. Personal question
My inner joy comes from intimate fellowship with the Lord, especially in worship.
When my eyes are on Him, the things of earth grow dim and irrelevant.
The zeal for God consumes me and energizes me. Some times are more consuming than others. Like the time I was sitting next to John Michael.
Jesus’ highest goal.
I determined to be obedient to the Lord even when I’m uncertain. I don’t want to miss his direction because I didn’t hear clearly. Knowing his character helps. As a result, I hear more clearly than I did years ago.
I’m doing my best to present myself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth. (paraphrased from 2 Timothy 2:15 ESV)
4. a. The disciples misunderstood—again.
Notice that this well of living water springs up unto everlasting life (i.e., intimacy with the Father – see John 17:3). It’s like an artesian well or spring, not a normal well that has to be pumped. The life of God should just flow out of us, and it does when our minds are stayed upon Him (Isaiah 26:3 and Romans 8:6). Andrew Wommack
An unbeliever only needs to drink of his living water through being born again (see John 3:3), and he will never thirst again.
“But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.”
John 4:14 “But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.” NLT
We are the bride of Christ. Not his housemaids. Not his janitors. His bride. God created man in His image. He created us for fellowship with Him. So that’s our number one. It’s probably the only one we need to have on our to-do list.
If we cultivate intimacy with him, the lover of our soul, we will do what we see our Father doing.
There is nothing that compares with the sense of satisfaction that comes from knowing you are right where the Lord wants you to be and doing what He wants you to do. Jesus was basking in that satisfaction. We can too. Andrew Wommack
Don’t be like the Pharisees, putting on a religious act.
- Make disciples of all nations
- Baptize them
- Teach them to obey Jesus’ commands
Instead . . .
Love the Lord with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.
- Seek Him.
- Abide in Him.
- Don’t neglect our hidden relationship with Him in the secret place.
Love your neighbor
- Help those who need help.
- Forgive them.
- Don’t gossip about them.
- Mourn with those who mourn.
- Refresh the weary.
- Encourage those who need encouragement.
- When we do anything kind and generous, let it be as unto the Lord. (See Matthew 25:37-40)
- If your elderly neighbor uses a walker and their mailbox is out at the street, offer to take the mail to their door every day.
Acts 20:24 “But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.”
5. a. Focus
- Morning Bible reading, journaling, and prayer.
- Meal preparation and housework.
- Personal paperwork
- Bible study writing and website maintenance
- Daily walk for exercise which usually includes visiting with neighbors
- Looking after my husband and neighbors.
- Preparing music, practicing, and doing one or two weekly worship sets in the prayer room with my good friend.
- Chatting with my good friend about our walks with God. She is my “iron sharpens iron” friend. Proverbs 27:17
- Attending church meetings
My life song which includes my life verse is “the more I seek you, the more I find you. . . I want to sit at your feet drink from the cup in your hand, (and like John) lay back against you and breathe, feel your heartbeat. This is so deep, it’s more than I can stand. I melt in your peace, it’s overwhelming. (c) 1999 Zach Neese/Gateway Create Publishing/Integrity’s Praise Music)
My answers to BSF study questions on John Lesson 6 Day 2 ~ Study of John 4:31-34