On the sixth day Elohim said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.”
3. Humans are unlike other living things.
- Created in God’s image
- Man (‘adam) male and female for companionship and partnership and family
- Given a purpose other than to multiply
- Dominion—authority to rule and reign over the earth
- Spiritual being—body, soul, spirit
- Moral being who knows right from wrong and has free will to choose
- Blessed by God
The physical act required to create offspring is different between humans.
- Other creatures mate only to reproduce.
- Ovulation in humans has no outward sign that attracts the male.
- Only humans signal a general availability and desire for intimacy outside the monthly ovulation and beyond the end of fertility unlike animals who go into heat.
- Humans have relations in private, the duration is longer, and the intensity of pleasure is stronger.1
4. God said, “Let Us make man in Our image.”
Our image likely refers to such qualities as reason, personality, and intellect, and to the capacity to relate, to hear, to see, and to speak.3
צֶלֶם tselem, tseh’-lem; from an unused root meaning to shade; a phantom, i.e. (figuratively) illusion, resemblance; hence, a representative figure, especially an idol:—image, vain shew.4
דְּמוּת dᵉmûwth, dem-ooth’; from H1819; resemblance; concretely, model, shape; adverbially, like:—fashion, like (-ness, as), manner, similitude.4
God blessed mankind
Without the goodness of God’s blessing, human life would be not only unbearable but also impossible.1
Dominion and authority
God gave man dominion over the whole earth.
God didn’t need Adam to name the animals, but He gave him that task. Adam probably named them based on his observation of what the animals looked like and how they behaved. Whatever Adam named them, that was their name. God didn’t change any of them. 5
Triune–three in one–being
Man is a triune being of spirit, soul and body just as the Creator is triune—Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
The two shall become one.
Jumping ahead in the story, the marriage union isn’t just for reproduction of the species because the two become one flesh symbolizing the bond between the Christ and the Church.
Crowned with glory and honor
For you have made him a little lower than the angels, and crowned him with glory and honor. Psalm 8:5
Sons of God
I said, “You are gods, all of you are sons of the Most High. Psalm 82:6
5. Who we are and why we are here
God wanted to be a parent. So He created earth with all that’s needed to sustain life and gave man dominion over it.
Don’t be afraid, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the Kingdom. Luke 12:32
Unfortunately, I’m reminded of this verse:
All we like sheep have gone astray.
Everyone has turned to his own way;
and Yahweh has laid on him the iniquity of us all. Isaiah 53:6
Any of us who have children, can relate to the desires a parent has for them and the disappointments we often feel.
I’m challenged to live ever closer to my heavenly Father and walk in that glory and honor.
6. Assignments and instructions God gave to humanity
- Be fruitful and multiply.
- Fill the earth.
- Subdue the earth.
- Have dominion over the fish, over the birds, and over every living thing.
- Eat the vegetation that yields seeds and the fruit of every tree whose fruit yields seed.
Stop killing babies (some states now allow babies to be killed after full term delivery.) Support the heartbeat bill and vote for candidates at every level who are pro-life.
In my view, it is human sacrifice to the god of self. Our Creator cannot be pleased with that behavior.
The more we partner with our Creator, the more we will individually and collectively see a difference. Together we can push back the Satanic forces increasingly loosed on our nation and world.
Join the discussion on our FACEBOOK PAGE or leave a comment below.
*This is an affiliate link which means if you click the link and make a purchase, we will receive a small commission. The item won’t cost you more.
Unless noted, all Scripture from public domain WEB translation.
My answers, research, and notes for BSF Bible Study Fellowship questions Genesis Lesson 2 day 2
Visit https://mybsf.org for a study near you and to download the weekly questions.