Genesis Lesson 25 Day 2
Joseph interprets Pharaoh’s dreams.
3) After two whole years, the cupbearer remembers Joseph.
Pharaoh has two troubling dreams. After the first one, he woke, went back to sleep and had the second dream. He was so upset the next morning, he called for his magicians and wise men and told them his dreams. No one could tell him what they meant.
When the chief cupbearer saw Pharaoh’s dilemma, he remembered when he and the baker both had troubling dreams in prison. He told Pharaoh he remembered a promise he failed to keep. He went on to explain about the young Hebrew servant who interpreted both dreams. “What he told us happened: Pharaoh restored me to my position but he hung the baker on a pole (Genesis 41:13 NOG).
4) Joseph acknowledged God as the one who reveals the meaning of dreams.
Joseph didn’t take credit for the gift. He gave God all the glory.
b) God guides us through other people, through dreams and visions, through scripture and in many other ways.
This is the story that came to mind.
When I was seventeen, my family had a big decision to make because of a very bad situation at the church where my dad served as minister of music and youth.
I had a vivid dream. I saw us packed up and driving away through Main Street lined with stately everything-is-perfect store fronts. But behind the facades were crumbled ruins. When I woke up, I thought of the following verse:
Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs, which outwardly appear beautiful, but within are full of dead people’s bones and all uncleanness (Matthew 23:27).
My dad asked me, “Which direction were we headed?” I had to think about it, but I knew we were driving north. Soon afterward, my dad was called to serve at a church in a state north of us.
5) Yahweh’s message to Pharaoh through two dreams.
- The Lord gave Pharaoh two dreams. He knew they had important meanings, and he felt compelled to discover it.
“It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out (Proverbs 25:2).
- The Great I AM does not speak through your magicians and wise men.
- I DO speak through Joseph. He hears my voice.
- Elohim showed Pharaoh what he was about to do.
- Seven years are coming when there will be an abundance of food throughout Egypt.
- After them will come seven years of very severe famine.
- Pharaoh had a recurring dream because God had definitely decided the matter, and He would soon bring it about.
6) Pharaoh sent for Joseph.
Joseph spent two more years in the prison after he interpreted the cupbearer’s dreams. But when the appointed time came, everything changed quickly.
Even when it looked like Joseph was forgotten, God didn’t forget.
Often, we feel there are long periods of time when God doesn’t do anything, but when His timing is right, everything can come together in an instant.1
Joseph’s God-given words to Pharaoh.
God spoke to Pharaoh about Egypt’s immediate future through Joseph. Pharaoh’s own spirit troubled him enough to seek out anyone who could bring him the truth. It’s seem unlikely he would believe a Hebrew prisoner, but the Lord prepared him to receive it through the cupbearer’s testimony.
Join the discussion on our FACEBOOK PAGE
1 EnduringWord.com used by written permission.
2 AWM Living Commentary used by written permission.
3 Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations from *The ESV Bible® (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®) copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
4 Strong’s Concordance, public domain.
5 *Spirit Filled Life Bible®copyright © 1991 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. (The Holy Bible, New King James Bible) copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.
* This is an affiliate link, which means if you click the link and make a purchase, we will receive a small commission. This does not affect the price you pay.
Visit https://www.mybsf.org/ for a study near you and to download the weekly questions.