Isaac and Rebekah blessed Jacob and his journey to find a wife.
3) Isaac blessed Jacob a second time.
The first blessing:
“May God give you the dew of heaven
Temporal blessings of prosperity and power.
Then Isaac blessed Jacob and directed him:
You must not take a wife from the Canaanite women.
Includes instruction about a wife, a general blessing, then the covenant blessing passed down from Abraham.
4) Isaac sent Jacob to Paddan Aram
- To give Esau time to overcome his murderous rage. They all thought Isaac would die soon.
- Also to find a wife from Rebekah’s relatives and not from the Canaanites.
5) Personal story
I can’t think of obedience that salvaged a situation or a relationship.
6) Esau takes another wife.
He intended to please his father by choosing a woman from Uncle Ishmael’s family. She wasn’t a Canaanite, but he still didn’t catch on.
He ignored his spiritual heritage and the promises God gave to go along with it, remaining indifferent to God’s ways. He allowed his carnal nature to rule over him.
P.S. I’m really curious why the Hittite women annoyed Rebekah so much. Jewish writing just says, they “did all they could to make life miserable for Isaac and Rebekah.” (myjewishlearning.com)
Join the discussion on our FACEBOOK PAGE or use the contact form.
1 EnduringWord.com used by written permission.
2 AWM Living Commentary used by written permission.
3 Unless otherwise indicated, all Scripture quotations from *The ESV Bible® (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®) copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.
4 Strong’s Concordance, public domain.
* This is an affiliate link, which means if you click the link and make a purchase, we will receive a small commission. This does not increase the price you pay.
Visit https://www.mybsf.org/ to download the weekly questions.